The main features of children having Autistic Disorder (AD) are :
- Impaired social interaction skills;
- Impaired communication skills;
- Impaired development in behaviour,interests or activities.
Impaired social interaction skills include :
- Abnormal eye contact;
- Failure to orient to name;
- Failure to use gestures to point or show;
- Lack of interactive play;
- Failure to smile;
- Lack of sharing;
- Lack of interest in other children.
Impaired communication skills include :
- Failure to speak;
- Odd intonation of speech;
- Imitative repetition of words;
- Pronoun reversal;
- Non-sense rhyming;
- Idiosyncratic language forms
- Absence of babbling or gestures by 1 yr.
Impairment of behaviour,interests or activities include :
- Aberrant play skills;
- Solitary play;
- Ritualistic behaviour;
- Repetitive interests snd behaviours;
- Tantrum-like rages;
- Heightened awareness of and sensitivity to certain stimuli;
- Diminished responses to pain and less responses to sudden loud noises.