The main features of children having Autistic Disorder (AD) are :
• Impaired social interaction skills;
• Impaired communication skills;
• Impaired development in behaviour,interests or activities.
Impaired social interaction skills include
• Abnormal eye contact;
• Failure to orient to name;
• Failure to use gestures to point or show;
• Lack of interactive play;
• Failure to smile;
• Lack of sharing;
• Lack of interest in other children.
Impaired communication skills include :
• Failure to speak;
• Odd intonation of speech;
• Imitative repetition of words;
• Pronoun reversal;
• Non-sense rhyming;
• Idiosyncratic language forms
• Absence of babbling or gestures by 1 yr.
Impairment of behaviour,interests or activities include :
• Aberrant play skills;
• Solitary play;
• Ritualistic behaviour;
• Repetitive interests snd behaviours;
• Tantrum-like rages;
• Heightened awareness of and sensitivity to certain stimuli;
• Diminished responses to pain and less responses to sudden loud noises.